Newborn Medical Care
Starting with your baby’s first breath, our Family Medicine Team will care for your child to make certain that your baby is healthy. You can expect the following newborn medical care after delivery:
- Newborn Medical Care Assessment
- Apgar Score – This score is designed to check your baby’s condition at 1 minute and at 5 minutes after birth. Your baby will be checked for Activity, Pulse, Grimace, Appearance, and Respiration.
- Vitamin K Shot – This shot will be given to your baby right after birth. For the first few days after birth, newborns are unable to make vitamin K, which is needed for blood clotting.
- Eye Ointment – Your baby’s eyes will be treated with medicated ointment to protect them from bacterial infections that can be contracted during delivery.
- Measurements – Your baby’s weight, length, and head circumference will be measured.
- Temperature – Your baby’s body temperature will be taken, along with breathing and heart rates.
- Bath – Your baby will be given a bath once her body temperature is stable. Parents are encouraged to participate in baby cares and bathing to get comfortable before discharge.
- Footprints and Medical Bracelets – As part of your baby’s first medical record, her footprints will be taken and added to the record. You and your baby will be given matching bracelets.
- Footprints and Identification Bracelets – As part of your baby’s first medical record, her footprints will be taken and added to the record. You and your baby will be identified with matching bracelets.
- Newborn Screenings
- Blood Sample – Your baby’s heel will be pricked to obtain a few drops of blood after 24 hours of life. This blood sample will be used to screen for genetic and biochemical disorders.
- Hearing Test – Your baby may also be given a hearing test. The test measures how your baby responds to sound.
- Congenital Heart Defect Screening – After 24 hours of age, your baby will be screened using a pulse oximeter placed on a hand and foot to measure their pulse rate and oxygen levels in their blood.
- Circumcision – Depending on your wishes, we can perform the procedure before discharge or in the clinic after discharge. Please meet with the patient representative to discuss insurance coverage and payment options prior to delivery.
Before Bringing Your Baby Home
We’ll help you schedule your baby’s first well-baby checkup with one of our experienced Family Medicine Team providers. Our team provides care for everything from routine wellness checkups and immunizations to unexpected illnesses such as ear infections or fever and more. Our team’s goal is to enhance our patients’ quality of life and promote healthy lifestyles. We provide patients of all ages personalized, compassionate, and comprehensive care right here, right where you live. We treat patients at:
After Baby Is Home and Beyond
Our Family Medicine Team provides exceptional preventative care and treatment for your child, close to home. We provide care for infants, children, and adolescents on everything from routine wellness checkups and vaccinations to unexpected illnesses such as ear infections or fever. Plus, our Walk-In Clinic offers fast, family-friendly care without an appointment.
- Preventative Care
- Wellness Checkups
- Preschool and School Physicals
- Sports Physicals
- Sick Child Diagnosis & Treatment